How do you get strangers to talk to you?

I don’t have any great past experience as an interviewee on the street. And there are so many reasons I don’t like it.



I don’t have any great past experience as an interviewee on the street. And there are so many reasons I don’t like it.


A. Time-consuming
This maybe the most obvious one come to my mind. I’m walking on the road because I need to go somewhere. No matter hurry or not, I’m not appreciate to be stopped and squeezed some information out. If I had to do it, I want it can be as soon as possible. So I dislike these questions requiring me to think, like question started with why.

B. Security
  If there is a stranger trying to talk with me, I will keep my eyes open, since I don’t trust him. I can’t buy every story people told me. That stranger said he is from some university to do research, but who knows whether it is true or not. Maybe they just want some pieces of my personal information.

C. Force me to cooperate
  Some interviewers never give up. They can chase me for 2 blocks to ask me to cooperate with their research after I declined.

D. Fake feedback
   There is always a big problem about interview brothering me. How to gain believable data from a quick interview on street? Considering I barely offer accurate information in a quick interview, especially about satisfaction, I wonder how much we can trust the feedbacks.  
  When the shops or the interviewers want me to mark their satisfaction questionnaires, most of the time, I just circle A without second thought. Because I’m afraid if I circle C or D, they would stop me and ask me to explain my answers. Besides, if there is a reward offered after the interview, like a coupon, I will choose Straight A's because I feel guilty to say their service is bad after taking the bribe.

  As an interviewer, I think there is something I can do to improve these conditions.
A. Comparing the strategy that keep interview as simple as possible, I think trying to find the right people to ask maybe a better way.
The lengths of time depend on what kinds of people you interviewed. If the one I interviewed get a bunch free time, like a newsagent or dog walker, maybe our conversation can last longer.
Start with a unopened question maybe another choice. Use it to test the attitude of our interviewees to see if they are comfortable to talk more with us.

B. If it is a short interview, and I can’t make people trust me, I will grantee to them there is no personal information will be leaked out. Every interview is anonymous.

C. It’s something we should never do. Do not push people if they don’t want to talk.


D. Online interview may get more real data about satisfaction questions, since people would not be affected by face to face conversation. If in a face to face conversation, we should avoid this kind of evaluation questions. 

You Might Also Like

1 评论

  1. Great analysis - I like how you broke it up into specific issues and then proposed possible solutions. I agree with C for sure (we shouldn't be too pushy about getting people to participate, though I am ok with offering them a lollipop or something small for their time as many people in class did, which sometimes increases responses). For D, I think you are right that not every question is appropriate in every situation. People inflating their approval or disapproval for something because they think that's what you want to hear is a definite problem, and one of the reasons we don't always ask for evaluative feedback directly (there are some times, such as online surveys, when it makes sense).

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images